Friday 11 December 2015

Aunty Sabrina Visits us - On Queen of The Desert


Finally it's good to live in Germany Werner Herzog’s epic Queen of the Desert released in early September and of course I went to see it. Herzog’s films are special artistic and most of them very colourful and Queen of the Desert is no exception. the true star of the story is the Desert the landscape is absolutely breathtaking and the scenery is so opulent and marvelous! 

Nicole Kidman as Gertrude Bell is fascinating to watch and it's great to follow her leading character through the movie and Bell's travels some of them made under danger and extreme risks and yes you get an inside in the century and her thinking. Gertrude Bell wasn't able to live a fulfilled love life her great love Henry died early and later she met Charles Doughty-Whiley played by Damian Lewis the love story was difficult from top to bottom since Doughty-Whiley was a married man captured in his marriage and his responsibilities. 






I remember I joked with several friends that his look remind me of Rhett Butler and even tweeted about lol but it was so much more! I told you last year how much I love to explore a new Damian character and I'm always impressed how different each character is from the other he even walks different that's funny but I love that special difference and I felt awkward telling you this last year but after watching Wolf Hall American Buffalo and now Queen of the Desert I couldn't be more right. Damian as Charles Doughty-Whiley is charming and adorable he's secure in his own skin but so in love with Gertrude and as we all know Damian Lewis is capable of transport so much by doing so little and he does it so well  you know the second he met Getrude Bell that he's fascinated by her, there's a beautiful scene where he "stole" a horse for her from the Turkish Government it's so charming and a real "Rhett Butler "scene:) Damian Lewis has a supporting role but the largest of the three men cast and it's sad to see how much he's torn between love and duty and you can only imagine how difficult it was for him to decide between heart and mind! Queen of Desert is a colourful epic with a great cast and an amazing landscape Damian Lewis gives a wonderful performance and I really recommend the movie... Sabrina  



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:55

    thank you to talk about this film, I long to see, I always regret that Damian was not the first role, but I understand, he is the best of the 3! *
    he is long on the screen?
    I hope, for without "a lot" of Damian, the film does not interest me very much !!
    Monique

    ReplyDelete

please add a comment