Monday 6 April 2015

Emma about the King.-) Wolf Hall on PBS memory piece



So last night after spending the evening with my husband for his birthday and at 9pm looking at my watch and thinking “why today did it have to be his birthday” , I got home at 11.15pm and just had to watch my pre-recorded wolf  hall which was on over 2 hours earlier – like a child I couldn’t wait another day to see it, and boy was I glad I waited up for another hour to feed my anticipated addiction.

As the credits began and the music started the hairs on my arm began to move and I was rooted to the spot.  I don’t want to give too much away for people in the US who are still to wait for a few months to see it, but the acting, the set and the sheer brilliance was just wonderful.  As a child and now adult I have to admit that I was never really into period dramas – however over the last 24 months Damian Lewis has changed my perception of this and since Forstye Saga I have been turned (not in a Brody way though) Mark Rylance plays Thomas Cromwell brilliantly and the cast is just fabulous, even down to the children. 
 I spoke to a friend today who was rooted to the spot when the Tudors were on television a while back and she said to me “ this is going to be a fantastic 6 weeks” and then clutching my cup of tea and dunking a biscuit the wait was over, Henry made his debut appearance on my screen, dressed in red with his floppy black hat and his sneering grin, there stood in the palace gardens, Damian Lewis, portraying King Henry 8th

 At first I had the urge to shout “whohoo” but then realised at 12am and kids asleep probably best just to keep it to my big smile and watch the last 5 minutes of what promises to be one of the best period dramas on the BBC in a very long time – BBC 2 have already said that they have not had TV ratings on a show that high in over a decade – so whether it’s down to a fantastic adaptation, or a great director or is it the fact that Damian Lewis has been cast into a magnificent British drama – whatever the reason I know I will be infront of my TV every Wednesday at 9pm for the next 6 weeks. 






more reviews follow and of course you will read it every week here on DFI


No comments:

Post a Comment

please add a comment