Monday 27 April 2015

Wolf Hall Blog review episode four

Wolf Hall episode four “The Devils Spit“
Just two more episodes left and that’s actually terribleJ
I will miss it and when you follow our blog from the beginning you know that
I am normally hard to persuade to get myself into a series.

I tried a lot Breaking Bad Boston Legal and Downtown Abbey just to name a few
and they are all very brilliant but I find it hard to keep up and that’s why
I usually stop watching with a very few exceptions like Forsythe Saga Homeland
or Wolf Hall because they are all different and that’s why I am so excited foe Billions and
keep all my fingers crossed constantly for this project because it’s a temporary and absolutely
interesting plot and could be a perfect mixture of drama and a deep look into high finance
which means I learn and enjoy the same time.

Wolf Hall now is a story we all know it’s not that we never heard before of Henry and Cromwell
but the series takes a different look of history and for the first time ever we see Henry not fat and
choleric but human, that’s probably for some viewers   a bit difficult because most of us had a clear
imagination of Henry and now we get a new sight but luckily most of us love it and as we all know
its accuracy  as Henry wasn’t always the fat guy.

Wolf Hall for me has almost every week a big surprise in the pocket and it called Damian Lewis
And his expressive way to play Henry!!

I have almost seen everything Damian was in and a lot of the films and series episode had
one thing in common Damian was able to create very much by doing very little.
Brody was probably the most famous example of what I mean.

Brody had never that wide range of emotions like Carrie and her slightly opera like actions
no he had to act on the edge of his personality and he expressed everything to perfection
sometimes by just raising his eyebrows or you can always reading his feelings in his eyes.
And all this has his Henry but Henry expresses everything really everything in his face
and not only with a flicker no with the whole face and that’s so great  for the King
and for the scenes with Cromwell.

As one critic said this week: “Henry is like a monstrous child”
That is the most perfect description of what I try to sayJ
Henry has very single emotion in his face he hides nothing and that makes him
kind of scary because he seems so capricious  and you are able to see all his thoughts
written all over his face and that’s  so marvellous. it’s a new experience for fans and audience

and I am so happy to witness a whole new aspect in his acting and to explore a Henry I haven’t seen
before in all the movies and yes the Tudors…there I said the word againJ
that made the last four episodes so special for me and especially the last episode, it had
so much emotions in it not only for Henry but also for More aka Anton Lesser!!
Actually Lesser made me a slightly little bit disappointed in Cromwell and Rylance.

Please not much and Mark Rylance is a wonderful actor and made to be Cromwell
but sometimes for my taste and really only for my taste he is a bit too slow and a bit too
reduced in his emotions and I found Lesser in the scenes just better than Rylance`s Cromwell
his reduced acting and emotions are perfect in the scenes with Henry because Lewis`s
King is like a child and you never know what to expect the next moment but Thomas More
Forced Cromwell to deeper emotions and I wish we had seen them better and clearer.
But guess I am just spoiled by Damian Lewis and his marvellous way to express deep
Emotions with just raising his eyebrow and the audience feel deeply for him!!

But again Mark Rylance carries Cromwell through the series with outstanding perfection.
I am a bit of a fan when it comes to Anton Lesser since I have seen him in a Barbican Centre
Production of Julius Caesar in London many years ago and he was outstanding as Brutus
unfortunately so outstanding that he outplayed Ralph Fiennes`s Marc Antony quite wellJ
He is just very very good!!
But the greatest pleasure for me is to discover once more a new site in Damian Lewis`s
acting and can’t wait to see the next episode, the synopsis promise a few scenes between
the King and Cromwell and that’s for me the best moments the series had to offer!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

please add a comment