Wednesday 5 November 2014

Soames a man of property

 


I keep saying that I actually dislike Soames Forsythe but haven t seen no other project of Damian Lewis more often than the Forsythe Saga so what is it that makes Soames such an attractive character?

Until today I keep also reading on Twitter and other social media platforms about Soames, people mostly women still talk about him.

I first saw the Forsyte Saga here in Germany our most popular broadcaster bought the mini series several years ago and it was a great success. 

I watched it with a friend in Frankfurt where I lived that time and she kept repeating herself how beautiful Soames is and so attractive, well I did not agree with her so much because I was still a diehard Ralph Fiennes fan  that time and Damian Lewis and Ralph Fiennes has not so many manly attributes in common. They are both exceptional actors but I suppose here ends the share of characteristics.

But Soames attracted me in some way. I say Soames because I never see Damian it’s always

Brody or Soames or Keane to me, I never see an actor playing a role because Damian

takes me out of a journey to explore the character.


It was the captured by his Soames.as many many times afterwards Damian took me on a tour the force and a roller-coaster of different emotions. 

I was not one of those women who had a total understanding for him especially not in the rape scene

His sentence at the end of his violent attack:” see, why couldn’t be always like this”!!

The minimum of understanding was gone and the maximum of hate set in because this sentence

was so unbelievably  arrogant and mean. I found it almost more disgusting than the act itself because

It shows what love means for him. Possession and ownership.

Back in May at times talks Damian talked about Soames and used the word ownership and that

Is for me the perfect description when I think about Soames.

Marriage means for him property…a man of property

he takes possession of Irene and thinks she has to love him because she is his wife.

I don t have much sympathy for her because she married him on purpose and for money and had never the intention to give him a real chance but on the other hand I find it hard to love him.

But I believe deep inside him there is a great love for that woman a love he would die for and

her constant rejection makes him sad ,weak and aggressive and explodes  in this act of violence but also shows his defenselessness.

The whole series is very special and excellent acted but for me Damian is the absolute standout.

Every time he is on screen he steals the show, the intensity he brings to his Soames makes the piece

an event.

I could never name a certain favorite scene because there are so many but one of the most heartbreaking scenes and a proof for Soames real feelings is for me the scene where he is alone in Irene’s room after she has left him and he dances with her dress smell her nightgown and laying in her bed crying and begging for her return. That is extremely painful to watch and proved once more Damian Lewis’s acting skills.   

The Forsythe Saga is filled with uncountable brilliant moments.

Maybe I inspired you for a re- watch and if you haven’t seen the DVD box set yet please 

go and buy it. it’s worth every penny and every minute of your time. 

 


 


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous17:56

    Je vais le regarder bientot,promise!!

    ReplyDelete

please add a comment