Friday 7 November 2014

Upper Class..the Column

When I started to interest myself for Great Britain it was quite clear I couldn’t avoid to get closer to a phenomenon called upper class.

These two words comes often with a report about Damian Lewis, if not directly than for sure wrapped in a sentence about the fact that Damian is an old Etonian for a German that sounds  posh and smells like the cliché of the stiff upper lip and to be honest with you I always found the whole topic a little bit scary because it transports a kind of guardedness and that is miles away from my own character so I was a bit afraid of seeing Damian Lewis for the first time truly hoping he wouldn’t be like Soames :)

I was in the very lucky position that Damian once answered a letter from me I wrote to him out of a certain reason and he was so kind and nice that I was sure he wouldn’t be the “stiff upper lip “guy in the flesh.  Don’t get me wrong I am absolutely ok with the fact that there are people who are more reserved than others. We are all different and that’s perfect!!

But as a fan you are always happy when the person you like or admire is approachable in a healthy way because everyone has a certain right of privacy!!

I can only talk about my impressions and experiences and the person Damian is in public, I have no right to judge or I will not allow me an opinion about Damian Lewis the private guy because that’s  none of my business but when I had the chance to see Damian the first time at a stage door in London  I was able to convince myself that he is definitely not in the slightest like an upper class reserved man. With fans or in an interview Damian Lewis seems kind of a boyish character.

He displays a charming wit and a fine sharp intelligence and for me one of the biggest achievements is his skill not to take himself so serious all the time. I love that.

For me he is a bit mischievous and witty sometimes but never impolite.
So for a German mind he doesn’t fulfil the cliché of upper class or old Etonian but actually I have no clue how the perfect cliché would be but in Germany there is a lot of stupid thinking that English man has to look like John Steed or Lord Sinclair J

I loved them both but for me I am happy Damian Lewis is exactly the way he is old Etonian or not…






No comments:

Post a Comment

please add a comment