Wednesday 17 December 2014

Tea and a Mag wrap up part two

Homeland tackles some very plausible plot lines. What has it been like to be involved in a show that can often feel uncomfortably close to reality?

It has been part of the great success of the show. The writers have brilliantly picked current political stories -- the obvious example being terrorism, something that is with us now for the foreseeable future. The idea that an upstanding American hero, who happens to be a marine, might change his ideology was a bold story outline to choose. It challenges Americans with the idea that one of your own might turn against you.

Has this idea been the show's key to success?

There's a well-pronounced sense of fear in America, a fear of the "other", and Homeland has largely been a success because it feeds into that. It has also challenged the audience to explore the idea that terrorism, or acts of violence, can be orchestrated by governments, and that it's not as clear-cut anymore. There's no clear hero in this show. It has refused to make judgments, and I think it has been brilliantly nuanced and ambiguous.

What kind of reactions have you had to your portrayal of a Muslim?
I've had people come up to me and say it's one of the most sensitive portrayals that they've ever seen. In spite of the fact that Brody was prepared to blow everybody up in a suicide mission, his faith always provided a very personal source of nourishment. We always depicted his faith in an intimate, personal and very sincere way, and a lot of people I've spoken to have been thankful for that.
In the show you had to pray in a faith that is not your own, demonstrate symptoms of PTSD, and recover from a severe heroin addiction. What kind of research and preparation did you do?

Well, my research is pretty conventional. I'm not an out-and-out method actor, but I do like to stay in character a lot during filming. I don't need to go and live in Iraq for three months to embed myself -- well I can't, I've got a family! -- but I certainly spoke to a lot of Muslims, and here in London I went to the London Central Mosque, and I read the Koran and its teachings. Similarly with PTSD and heroin addiction, I watched a lot of video footage and spoke to addicts and people who work to help those suffering. A lot of my research is based on the anecdotes of real people.
Was Claire Danes the best Carrie the producers could have cast?

Can you imagine if the part had been played by any other Hollywood actress, anyone with an ounce of vanity about them as a performer? Claire has no vanity. She's committed to making sure she represents the story in the best possible way. Her performance is totally and utterly committed, terrifyingly so at times. I know a hundred other actresses who wouldn't be prepared to commit to the role in the way she has. I think it has been an amazing thing for her.
Were you ready to say goodbye to the role?

Yes. I'd known for some time that this would be Brody's last season, so I was well prepared. Still it was such an enjoyable job that I'll miss Brody. I have no idea where they'll take Homeland next, but I bet it will be brilliant. Some people have said that the end of season three felt like a series finale. It brought the first story line to a close, but I think they'll find many more equally intriguing ones.

to be continued 

copyright hunger mag source damian-lewis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

please add a comment